A museum and a center of art dedicated to the glass in Carmaux are allying heritages and practices of the glass in the contemporary art. Exhibitions, workshops and publishing are in the menu. It contributes to link the "know-how" and the "will-being" of the plastic surgeons, the designers and the glassworkers in order to share the experiences of the creation with the glass.
The MCDAV joins, in a forward vision of the creation of the glass, the museum and the artistic point of view. It is based on the powerful substratum glassworker of the territory and more widely the Southwest quarter, source of knowledges, learning and transmission of the memory.
The MCDAV asserts its identity to a crossroads plastic arts, design and art professions. The common denominator of these three domains is the free creation from the borders and the limits still established between these various domains. It is question of crossing, exchanges between the practices and the knowledge.
The scientific and cultural vocation of the Museum/Center of Art Glass - Carmaux try to associate preservation and valuation of the glassworker’s heritages from the Southwest since the Antiquity. It contributes to revitalize the contemporary creation in the field of the glass in France and abroad.
The MCDAV is one espace which is:
- participating actively in the development, in the identity and in the energization of the territory of the Ségala-Carmausin,
- integrated into the regional and national artistic, cultural and tourist network,
- keeping and valuing a heritage still unknown by the general public,
- making a major contribution in terms of knowledge and valuation of the history of the glass in the Tarn and the Southwest since the Antiquity by its policies of acquisition, its exhibitions, its researches, its publications, its attractiveness and its brilliance,
- making a major contribution to the “contemporary arts of glass making”, to the art professions, to the design, to the free creation, and to the uses of the glass in the contemporary art”, without hierarchy of genre. It not only encourages the creation but also the links with the other local, regional, national and European cultural structures.