The Domain of the Glass factory welcomes since the 18th century (primal industrial period) a "Royal Glass factory" (1754-1861) the first glass factory of the Southwest which worked with coal. The Museum possesses few objects resulting from the "primal industrial" period of the Royal Glass factory. It possesses a major asset: the site itself, with arched rooms located in the building of the Orangery, welcomes a part of the collections of the current museum.
We also talk about "industrial" period. The objects of this collection relate the history of the industrial Glass factory in Carmaux. These last ones are mostly linked to the history of this place. "Glass-making” characterized at the same time the art, the object, the place and "the manufacturer" during "the industrial era" or "industrial revolution", the 19th century.
The primal industrial and industrial history of the production of glass factories in Carmaux was born in the Domain of the Glass factory and continued to Albi with the VOA in the 20th century. This title also allows us to integrate clearly this collection into a more important genealogy: the presence of the glass in the Tarn and the Southwest quarter since the Antiquity. This collection is connected with the great adventure of the industrial production of the bottle which, associated with the new ways of transportation, as the railroad (especially the line Albi-Carmaux which was opened by a member of the family of Solages) followed a considerable ascent in the 20th century before suffering from the crisis of the phylooxera.