"The Knight" founder of the mines of Carmaux, and transformed into an impressive castle by his great-grandson Achille, during the Restoration (1814-1830) was built in 1755 by Gabriel de Solages. Unfortunately, it was completely destroyed by a fire the 1st of April 1895. There are some vestiges of the first castle.
After this fire, Ludovic de Solages enlarged the house of the director of mines. Temporarily, he had a chalet built. Afterward he transformed it a perpendicular detached house. So, the office of the director left settling down in Carmaux, whereas the old offices of the mines are transferred to the district of the Tower of Carmaux.
He also made build the house of the guard.
He sold the Society of the Mines of Carmaux a ground of several hectares, to allow the construction of the Power plant and the Pré-Grand park (1923). He sold also his farm of Fontgrande (1920), which had to welcome 600 persons (rather large families).
A monumental, long staircase of 120m of wide and of 4m, allowed to reach the city and facilitates the communication between factories and wells, and led to the Pré-Grand park of (big steps adapted for horses).
Initially, a wood recovered the site of the future city and during the clearing (deforestation), the brought back earth was use to the construction of the Pré-Grand park
The road between the old workshops and the cross of the marquess is raised near the dovecote.